Ok, so I am fully recovered from illness, knock on wood, and feeling more positive about things. Alot has happened in just a small week. We are getting started on some projects here, namely bird cataloging and sign making for the trail. We are going out into the jungle once or twice a week and observing birds and cataloging what species we have here, what time we saw them, where, and how many. The worst part is getting up at 4:45 a.m. to get out in the woods in time for them to wake up and start singing and flying around. Once I am out there it is nice and I really enjoy it but waking up early is one thing I definitely am taking awhile to get used to in this country. I now consider waking up at 7 a.m. sleeping in. For those who know me, this is VERY un Tara like behavior. I enjoy my sleep. But, back to bird watching some of the birds in this place are just so beautiful. We have a huge variety here and they are all so colorful. The hard part is identifying them since I am unfamiliar with most of the species and all of the migratory ones that I know are now back up North since it is warmer.
Other fun stuff.... we are making signs out of wood and then using a router to carve out the letters to put out on the trail. There are hundreds of miles of trails around here and nothing is marked, so you can imagine how easy it is to get lost especially since you can´t see above the canopy. So, hopefully this will help the tourists that come to visit.
The rainy season has fully begun here, and the waterfall is cranking. But, you also have to be careful as I saw a whole tree go over the falls yesterday and alot of earth is moving with it too. It has been raining here practically day and night, but I actually kind of like it. It is peaceful and pretty relaxing but I miss going up to the soccer field to play in the afternoons.
I think tomorrow I am going over to another finca with our group to do a canopy tour and can´t wait to check that out. We have a group of University students staying with us for a month and I was asked to talk to their philosophy class on Monday so I am excited to do that. I really enjoy that kind of thing.
Other random notes from the field,
1. Last Sunday our bus got stuck in the mud on the way down and buried itself up to it´s hubs in mud. I got out and walked back, who knows how long it took to get it unstuck.
2. You can buy fresh roasted peanuts in the market here for only Q6, so good!
3. A cold shower at 6 a.m. is still something that I am not used to
That is about it! Thanks for all of the notes and well wishes!
Cheers!
Tara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Tara...I haven't written to you for a long time but I do think of you often and keep you in my prayers. I especially thought of you when I heard of the huge sinkhole in Guatemala City a few days ago. So much rain!!! I hear you are up in the mountains so that should be safe from flooding, etc.
ReplyDeleteBeth, Nathan and Mia have been at Marian's since last Tuesday evening. Those kids are so cute. I got each of them a small bottle of bubble "juice" the other day and watched them blow bubbles in the back yard. That was fun. Tomorrow night I will treat them to B&G. They have been busy with a lot of activities...Susan hasn't missed a beat and the weather has been good. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain and that will be the pattern off/on this week. Beth and Mia go back Tuesday evening and Nathan will stay here for a couple more weeks, I guess.
I am doing well and enjoying summer.....green grass, flowers, and even some mosquitoes. I will try to write more later. Thanks again to you and other PC volunteers in your area. You are great ambassadors.
Love, Margaret