Sunday, June 20, 2010

Bachata in the Internet Cafe

Oh what wonders a weekend away can do. I was able to get away to the city for a weekend and am relaxing in the internet cafe, listening to one of my favorite types of Latin music, bachata, and am feeling pretty good. If you want to hear from bachata, check out the group Aventura on Itunes. Last night a bunch of us went out dancing and it is so nice to be able to get out and do that and see some other volunteers and see how everyone is doing.

I have been VERY busy for the past 5 weeks. We had a great group of university students studying at my site and taking classes in the afternoon. I coordinated all of their volunteer activities and basically served as their point person with the community for the past 5 weeks, so I have really had no down time since I live at the hotel on site. It has been crazy, but this weekend I had a chance to catch up on some sleep and haven´t had to answer any questions in like 72 hours, so that is great. (Side note on just how great the music is right now, loving it!!)

So, doing lots of projects at site. I am starting an alliance with other rural tourism sites close by and promoting them. Plus, this univesity group worked really well, so am trying to get a new part to the website up advertising this opportunity and going to get in touch with universities and faculty. Plus, we got t shirts made, have been working on bird watching, trail sign building, making contracts, a reservation book, and a whole number of other things. My life is crazy busy and I feel like I hardly have down time.

But when I do have down time, I love watching the World Cup soccer right now, eating these things called Best Bars, which are actually really crappy Guate chocolate bars that take on a whole new wonderful flavor when you dip them in coffee, a la, Tim Tam slam style. Other random notes:

1. I am constantly amazed that there aren´t more bus accidents here. Normal bus time to Xela is like 2 hours from where I am. The bus driver on Friday cut that by an hour, passing like 4 trucks around every blind curve going like 50 mph, yeah, was convinced I might not survive that ride.

2. Ate this fruit called nanci, I think it is spelled this way. Super good til I was told they are known for carrying amoebas. Great, t minus 2 days til the week incubation time is up. Knock on wood this particular batch didn´t have any or I have a nice trip to the Dr. coming up.

3. Experienced a Guate national hospital, don´t worry though, I wasn´t there because of me. I was translating for someone. But you know you aren´t in the US when there are dogs running around the hospital and you have to go to the tienda across the street to buy soap and toilet paper, these things are not supplied at the hospital. That is right, hospital, germs, no soap, saber...

4. New top favorite food, frozen pineapple liquados, soooooo good!

5. Annoying fact - almost every guy that I interact with, even in business situations thinks he has a chance to date me and references that fact about every other sentence. It can be very frusterating to work with some of these people when every other sentence they are asking you to be their wife, saying how beautiful you are, asking you out, asking if you have a boyfriend, etc. etc. etc. Ahhhh, even when I tell them to stop, then I am enojada, which means a lady who is mad, but that doesn´t stop em either. AHHHH, sometimes it can be a little rough.

But for the most part things are going well, it is just that there are things down there that I deal with on a daily basis that definitely are not ok things to say or do in the US and it is a constant battle to keep these things at bay.

I have a 4th of July party coming up so I am excited for that. Only a couple of weeks now and my birthday is coming up too. I think I am going to buy myself a cake. It is really good down here!

Thanks for all of the notes from everyone! I appreciate all of your support!
Cheers!
Tara

1 comment:

  1. You are doing a great job with your blog Tara. You have a real knack for writing in a way that paints a picture of what you are dealing with on a daily basis. Please be careful and continue to take good care of yourself. I am very proud to be your dad.

    ReplyDelete