First off, sorry for the intermitant blog posts. It is hard to find time here to post with the sketchy electricty, internet that takes 1 hour to open 4 emails, and all the work and everything in between. But, for the most part life is good here and I am feeling more and more comfortable every day here. They weren´t kidding when they said work is slow going here. I have a list of things to get done and if I get one thing accomplished per day, I am feeling pretty good. Nothing here is in a central location or already organized. If you want to do something, you really have to want to do it and spend a lot of energy and time to get it done.
My bosses from the Peace Corps came out for a site visit yesterday and it was great to talk to them. They gave me some good ideas and helped give me direction on a few projects with some ideas on how to start. Some ideas we currently have here are starting a bird watching program here, collecting bottles to make into eco bricks to build something here, starting an environmental education project with the teachers here, and working with the tourism committee that just was reestablished with our first meeting yesterday to work on quality service and continuous improvement in the hotel. So things are rolling and I am still teaching English as well which is actually very fun.
Here are some interesting random thoughts and experiences since the last post,
1. Went to Xocomil this awesome water park here in Guatemala. It was so fun and for a day I felt I was back to my normal life.
2. Went dancing in Xela and got to meet some of the other PC volunteers here. I realize that every now and then I need a break and it is good to get into the city and eat a good meal and get out for some fun.
3. I love the camionetas, as long as they aren´t too packed. I have been having good luck with the music on them too. Recently they have been playing some great tunes. I have also purchased the PC CD entitled, Now, That´s What I Call Camioneta, Volume 1. I will be happy to burn a copy for anyone´s listening pleasure.
4. The volcano went off again this morning. It is pretty cool to have a live volcano just minutes
OK, electircty is off! Have to publish now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment