Friday, May 7, 2010

Life is looking up

Ok, so I have gotten over my bit of site envy. I had a great meeting with the Peace Corps crew a few days ago and meeting with these great people always affirms why I am here. We have such a great set of supportive volunteers and staff, I feel very lucky to be a volunteer.

I had a great night in Xela a few nights ago. I got to go out salsa dancing for the first time in 5 months and I realized just how much I missed it. The only difficult part is they dance on one here and I am used to dancing on two. For all non salseros out there, that is basically an opposite count, but I figured it out and it was really fun. I also visited my friend in her site, the plush site, and had a great time with her. We baked oatmeal bars with mocha frosting and had plantains and beans for breakfast. Plus, they make these really good all fruit frozen popsicles and we got them for free after talking with the store owners so long. They also make these really good tortillas there with queso in the center and the tortilla made of flour. This is unusual for my area, but tipico for their area. So, it was fun to hango out with my friend and compare notes and just chill for a night.

I got back to my site yesterday and have started right in again and am feeling more and more at home here. I told my friend here that I need to start concentrating on what I got accomplished here and not what needs to still be accomplished. So today, my list of accomplishments include,

1. Successfully filling the water tank of the hotel
2. Getting tour operator prices done for the hotel
3. Making stawberry syrup out of a pound of fresh strawberries for my morning pancakes
4. Finished my May calendar to send to Peace Corps
5. Checked all of the email for the community
6. Talked to my counterpart and got permission to attend the national tourism fair here
7. Successfully kicked the dog out of the hotel 3 times
8. Shaved my legs (you don.t realize how big of an accomplishment this is taking a Navy shower, read...douse yourself with water, turn water off, shampoo hair, soap up, shave (I bought a small bucket to fill with water to take into the shower and use this for shaving and washing the razor) then, turn water back on and rinse quickly and get out.
9. Successfully scolded 4 children from stealing fruit from the trees in the hotel grounds - you gotta be on them fast or if they learn you are a softie they will definitely aprovechar, meaning take advantage of the situation

So, 9 things accomplished today. Plus, my friend made these wonderful donut like things tonight for dinner. Yes, I am eating donuts for dinner, hey Im in the jungle, I guess I can do what I want, haha! We made them out of pancake batter and wawter and fried them in oil and put honey on them! ooooohhhh sooo good!

Ok, the electricty just went out and this computer screen is successfully attracting some of the most disgusting bugs in the country and one just flew up my nose! Yuck!! And down my shirt! Ok, Im out! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment