Friday, January 22, 2010

Time is Flying!

Good evening world! Another week has passed here and Guatemala and I am still learning a ton! I am at the point where I am starting to crave American food and everyone else is there too. We are going to have a pizza party tomorrow night at one of my friend´s house. Dominos is here so that is what we are going to order.

Other things exciting is my english is weird now since I´m speaking so much spanish my English is starting to come out backyards since everything in Spanish is spoken is a backward style of English. For example in english you would say red hat, but in spanish it is hat red. That type of thing.

We met with the mayor of our town today. We have a project that we are going to do to help the local park. We are going to be putting up way finding signs as it is very hidden. We are focusing on attracting more local Guatemalan business to the park. It is a beautiful park with views of the city and 4 volcanos. The hike up to the top is through a beautiful mixed tropical forest. We are also working on helping out with a 3 fold brochure as well and we are going to try to get the place up on Google Earth for them.

In regards to food again, everything is going well. My host mom is making all sorts of great veggie soups and I am loving that. Oh course lots of tortillas with every meal. Meat and everything is eaten with hands, a fork and knife are never really used. I realize that every time I eat the kids look at me weird since I am using a fork. It is a bit different to eat with hands however, I´ve realized a good gauge at when I am doing something weird is to look at the kids reactions. If they are giving me a weird look, it is probably something outside of social protocol. They are great judges since they are so honest.

Today another funny sight was the local pack of dogs wandering around a cart selling meat. Suddenly this stray dog jumped up and grabbed this huge steak off of the cart and took off. The guys ran after the dog and grabbed the steak out of it´s mouth and put it out for resale. Word to the wise, order all meat well done here. As the nurse said, it is ok to eat bacteria and worms, as long as they are dead! haha!

Well that is about it for now!
Cheers!
Tara

1 comment:

  1. Love all the funny little stories and how English is now becoming backwards to you! You're doing a great job!! Pizza sounds good!
    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete