Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Earthquake!

Hey Everyone!

I'm here in Guatemala and things are going great! I was in Comalapa yesterday and yes I felt the earthquake. I am happy to report that there was no damage and everyone here is fine and buildings are in good shape. Comalapa is a town in the highlands, known for its artists and painters. We met a world famous artist yesterday - Oscar Perez - known for his Guatemalan life paintings.

I really have been learning alot here. I am living with a host family here for 11 weeks and then I will be assigned my site and will have another new family for 3 months. It is really true - I have learned so much from living with my Guatemalan family in one day than I could have learned in a whole year just travelling around. My family has been incorpating me into their daily routine - I go to baby showers with them, church, family dinners, birthday parties, and trips to Pollo Compero. I've really learned families are huge here in Guatemala and everyone lives near each other. Just last Sunday we all had dinner together and there were like 30 people in one room. This isn't just a one day affair once a year - but it is like this 2-3 times a week.

I also have learned to wash clothes here in the pila. It is like an open water tank in the house or backyard. There is a cement grate to scrub your clothes on and then you hang them out to dry on the roof or backyard. It is kind of different to have the whole word able to see your underwear - but then their underwear is out there too - so I guess it all evens out. Also, word to the wise in regards to salad eaters. Usually the veggies are washed from this same tank of water - so no salads for 2 years or so. We have learned the process for de-contaminating raw veggies - so I will put that in place once I am out on my own.

I've been feeling really good too. I've been able to try lots of different kinds of vegetables and meat. There are definitely some interesting choices - they really like ham, ketchup, mayo, and toast sandwiches for breakfast. I only have been sick once so far and that was on the trip to Pollo Compero. I was in a big van with the entire family - like 12 people - and we were stuck in a traffic jam and I was in the back, unable to see and inhaling a lot of exhaust - no pollution laws here - anyway - that did me in and I was seeking the nearest restroom fast. Dramamine has definitely been a key ingredient in my happiness on these van rides from now on.

All is well here - loving the sights, sounds, and new experiences.

Cheers,
Tara

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're doing well and got there okay! It sounds exciting, definitely more exciting than here. I went skiing yesterday, for only the second time this season because of my work and school schedule, and it was nice. There wasn't a whole lot of snow, but we finally got a little bit. I fell and jacked up my left hand, waiting for an ortho f/u to see if there is any long-term damage, but it'll probably be okay with a little rest. I need to stop being so accident prone... Take care and can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get to buy a painting from Perez? What fun to see all his work! The adventures continue and I love hearing about all of them! Love you much! mom

    ReplyDelete