Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm here!

Hello everyone!
Well, this is going to be a quick post as Pre Service Training is very intense and I have to be in class in a few minutes but thought I would update everyone on Guatemala. I am so happy to be here! I have spent 3 nights with my host family and now today we leave for our community based training post while I will be for the next 11 weeks.

The weather is nice down here now - in the 60s during the day and in the 40s at night. My host family has been very kind and generous so far. I have had the luxury of having a shower every day via a shower with a metal electricty coil where the water passes through to warm it up a bit. It sounds more dangerous than it is - no shock yet - you're safe as long as you don't touch the coil. One guy accidently did and got a pretty good shock though.

The food has been excellent as well - fruit for breakfast this morning - papaya and bananas and even fried plantain on the first day. I've been drinking hibiscus tea as well. Every night I've been playing game with my host family - a game like chutes and ladders and then some classic card games - Old Maid, Go Fish, and Slapjack!

Our teachers are so good here - they are so helpful with the culture and learning the language norms of Guatemala. I am finding some phrases are very different from the Mexican influenced Spanish that I have learned. Poco a poco (little by little) I will get it all.

We had a pinata to welcome us yesterday - very fun! My spirits are high and I am thinking about all of you in the US. Thank you all for your support! Plus, I have a volcano in my backyard here - one last very cool fact I had to mention to you. It is smoking too!

Hasta luego!
Tara

2 comments:

  1. It was so good to hear from you! Sounds like the adventure continues!! :) The fresh fruit sounds so good in the morning and the temps are even better!! Thanks for the post! Love you, mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright Tara! Good to hear from You! I am glad that you are getting settled in for now and diving into the culture. It sounds like you are having a great time so far, as long as you don't touch the heating coil to the shower. I just had my second day back to Willow Creek today and I am just getting back into the swing of things. Do you remember Mr. Wadium? I am sure that you do. Anyways, he passed away last Saturday and we are all really sad. I am working his Wake tomorrow at the Club. We are supposed to get some snow next week, so I am crossing my fingers for some long awaited powder in the Wasatch. Look forward to your updates Tara. Have fun and stay in touch. Your friend, Jeremy

    ReplyDelete