January 4 is rapidly approaching at this point. I have a few more days left in Bend, OR with my sister and I am trying to savor every moment. Today we watched the National Cyclo-Cross races that were in town for the weekend and it was such an awesome event to watch. If you've never seen a 'Cross race, imagine a field of crazed bike riders - rallying around a 3K course, consisting of everything from grass, mud, staircases, hills, wooden barriers, rocks, and any other hazard one would typically want to avoid on a bike. These guys and girls are at a full sprint the entire time (about an hour) completing laps, wiping out, taking each other out, and trying to win the race. It is crazy fun to watch! The spectators are just as entertaining. I witnessed a pirate playing a saxophone, a full high school drum corps, a crazy dude running around in a Speedo (it was 20 degrees out), a crazed devil with a pitchfork, and TONS of cowbells. It was a great time!
Right now I'm trying to figure out what to pack for the "Land of Eternal Spring." I've been reading some blog posts from other volunteers and it seems like sites range from freezing cold to hot and humid. I have wardrobes to accommodate both extremes, but since I don't know what temperature zone my site will be in, I will try to pack a little of everything and maybe send for back up later. I'm bringing anything from a down jacket and sleeping bag to flip flops, skirts, and short sleeve shirts. I'm now thinking that my Smartwool socks will be a good addition too. At least I know anything I NEED to survive will be available once I get there, so I'll just go from there. It's been freezing here in Oregon (negative temps) - so 40's and 50's will feel on the warm side to me.
I will be spending the last few weeks with my parents and grandparents, so I have the food requests in as my favorites might not be readily available for some time - can't wait for my grandma's fried chicken, roast beef, and sugar cookies. My dad recently went pheasant hunting so he has a few on hand for me and also just got his deer sausage and jerky back too. I also received some photos of my parents frosting Christmas cookies - so I told them to save some for me :) I love Latin inspired cuisine, however, am trying to lay off for the rest of my time here in the States since I will be getting more than enough in the years to come.
That's all for now - more to come later!
Cheers,
Tara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment