Tuesday, December 15, 2009

80lbs isn't a lot of stuff...

I'm in packing mode and am realizing this is really tough. I've got all of the stuff that I want to take with me and all of the stuff that would be "nice to have" and am really having to keep thinning down my pile of "must have gear." I'm finding that the shoes are really taking up the most room and I can't really figure out what to eliminate. Since I'm not sure if I'll be in hot/cool climate and I'm not sure how dressed up I'll have to be for work and meetings - it is making it tough. The Chacos and flips are key and so are the trail runners - but will I need the Danskos and dressier work sandals? From my experience working in Mexico, I know that when business or anything important is conducted, people really go all out and dress very professionally. However, I will have many days out in the field and want attire to work with that too. AAhhhhh!

One thing that I am taking is my "luxury item" of a few essential oils. A drop of lavender oil will smell heavenly as I'm drying off from my bucket shower. Also, I heard a good face wash is hard to find and expensive there, so I'm bringing a good one from home. Oh yeah and I've got to make a trip to Sally Beauty supply to find a pair of scissors to trim my own bangs while I'm down there too.

I spent the rest of the day today going through my music and trying to get everything loaded onto my computer for later load onto the Ipod. I've got a huge range of music and I think it will be key to getting through some of the more trying days. Also, I am psyched on my purchase of a short wave radio. It will be fun to see what I can pull in from all over the world. NPR or BBC will be a nice taste of home while I'm there.

As I look over this post, I realize it is kind of scattered and that is pretty much how I'm feeling at this point. Everything is feels like this might be the last chance to do something or remember to pack a certain item and my mind is kind of all over the place. I feel ready to go and am trying to have no expectations and go in with a completely open mind.

That's all for now - I'm off to Minnesota in a few days and can't wait!
Cheers,
Tara

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine packing for something like this. Especially not knowing entirely where you will be or what you will need. I am having a hard enough time packing for 2 1/2 weeks in WI! Good luck! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! It's so fun to hear from you! I hope all is well with you and your family. Your little boy is so cute and I saw on Facebook that you're expecting another little one - congratulations! Happy Holidays and have fun in Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete