Geez, the weather here just doesn't let up. Just when the terrain here is saturated enough and the river levels are up to the level of the bridge decks, another big storm system comes in...and in comes the text message from headquarters with another Standfast. This means that we need to stay wherever it is we are, call in, and wait out the storm. Luckily I am here in site and we are surrounded by thick jungle with good root systems so I am not in too much danger here. However, the road systems are another story. Most of the roads have been cut out of steep mountains, however, when the roads were cut, not much in the way of reinforcement was put in and with soils saturated the mountains literally start coming down. This is getting especially bad since the country hadn't yet recovered from Agatha and the last big storm system and in comes the next.
So, in regards to what is going on here, my mood has definitely improved and I am feeling good again. Here is the latest and greatest on what has been going on here and some other notes...
1. My friend Steph came in to help me give an environmental education workshop to the teachers here. It was so great to see her and compare notes and just talk. She was impressed with my adaption here and it was nice to hear that. When you're new to a community and constantly trying to figure it out, sometimes you feel like you're always a step behind, however, it was nice to have a friend point out some successes. Thanks Steph - it was great having you here.
2. When a giant tarantula crawls out from the cupboard when I am eating dinner, I don't even flinch, I just keep eating and watch it go. The one thing I still run from though are bats. At least tarantulas don't carry rabies.
3. I am working on a huge tourism project here - helping to organize all of the rural and agro-turismo spots here on the Pacific Coast. It is a huge project - but I think it will take off. It is looking like this might be my primary project for the remainder of my time here -1.5 yrs - no longer 2 - yeah!!!!
4. I can make just about anything out of the following ingredients...Maseca (used to make tortillas), eggs, beans, pasta, pancake mix, tomato, onion, potatoes, camote (sweet potato), carrots, garlic, Natura's tomato sauce, and oatmeal, and bananas. That is my diet here...and these are my meals...pancakes, pancakes with bananas, pancakes with coffee grounds (actually really good), omelettes, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, chirmol (salsa), egg and potato/camote hash, oatmeal, oatmeal with bananas and honey, empanandas, enchiladas (completely different here - not like back home), eggs and beans, tortillas with honey and salt, pasta, Cup O Noodle, and that's about it. Oh yeah and rice... I can make a pretty good veggie curry. Really, seriuosly, that is all I eat. Thank God for multi-vitamins and my occassional trips to Reu for McDonalds. Living the forced vegetarian dream...oh meat products how I miss them! I remember asking my class of english students what their favorite food was and they all said meat - not any favorite dish or type of meat - just meat. I thought that was strange -not anymore. Ask me my favorite food right now - I'll give you the same answer - meat!
5. Skype - got to talk to my sister this week and I tell ya - this makes all the difference to me. I have the best sister in the world and chatting with her on Skype reminds me of all of good times we had, chatting it up and drinking wine on the blue couch. Oh those were the days!
6. Coffee season is on - the harvest has started. I tell ya, after living on a finca, I will never look at a cup of coffee the same. It is incredible the work that goes in getting the coffee fruit from the tree to the beneficio to the roaster to the cup. The coffee plants all have bright red coffee fruit right now and they are beautiful to look at.
7. Just watched Sex and the City 2! It is crazy how movies can bring you back. Oh it was so fun to watch and dream about America again. Movies can really take you away and for a couple of hours there I forgot I was in the jungle. However, it really makes me miss the U.S. But the good thing is it reminds me that it all is still there and waiting for me to come back!
8. 2 months to go - then Thanksgiving, In Service Training, and then HOME for Christmas. I can't wait - it finally feels in my grasp!
That is about all I can think of for now. Things have really kicked into gear here and I finally feel like I am working on some worthwhile stuff and have December to look forward to. Thanks for reading and for all of your support.
Saludos,
Tara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment