Saturday, October 2, 2010

Keepin Busy

Things have turned around lately for this Peace Corps volunteer. I really think months 3-6 are some of the hardest. The initial novelty wears off, you're not quite sure what projects are going to take off and where your role really lies in the communty. However, as of now I can happily say that I have turned the corner and things are really starting to come together. I am working on this big tourism project to try to pull all of the eco and agro tourism sites together here on the Pacific Slope, mixing in a few hotels as well. We are going to promote the region as a whole - something that really hasn't been done in this region and I think it is going to take off. A lot of hard work is involved but it is looking like this is going to be my big project down here - forming something like a Chamber of Commerce or Regional Tourism Committee for this part of Guatemala.

Other than the work part of my life down here - my social life has ramped up as well. I was recently invited to a wedding here on the 30th and it was so fun to be involved and feel accepted by one of the local families. I went over early to help with decorations - we made a balloon arch out of saplings that we chopped down with a machete and hung balloons all over the inside of the house and outside under the lamina shelter. We found palm branches and another pretty fern type plant called Cola de Quetzal - meaning Quetzal (the national bird) tail. The wedding was a huge success - we spent the day dancing to some great music and eating lots of fried chicken. I think I had like 4 chicken legs - this is the most meat I've had in 1 day in months! What a feast!

I feel so happy to now have my Guatemalan family here in the community. I go with them to cheer on the soccer team - which consists of all of their boys playing on one team. They are a family of 14 children and their boys are all fantastic soccer players - so the team is mostly "puro" Recinos. They recently won the championship and we celebrated with firecrackers, tons of noisemakers, and a huge lunch and party after the game.

Other than the festivities of late - today was a day of absolute luxury for me. No one is here in the hotel and I got up, made some breakfast (eggs and tortillas...), washed clothes, and got to talk to my sister on Skype. Then after running outside to collect my clothes off the line as it started to rain (again) I called my mom and got to Skype with her too. It was such a great day! I tell ya, Skype and my computer makes all the difference to my happiness. Just being able to feel like you are in the same room talking to someone and actually see them makes me soooo happy. Then, I made some dinner - trying out an experiment. There is this stuff called Protemas here and it is dehyrated soy flakes. If you rehydrate it and blend it up and put it in tomato sauce it is suppossed to give it the texture of meat. So, I finally had the time and decided to try it. The stuff is kind of gnarly when it is rehydrated - brown and kind of smells weird and has a funky texture, so it wasn't super appetizing making this dish, but what the heck...blended it up and combined it with some fresh tomatoes and garlic and made the sauce. It wasn't too bad but it was definitely missing that rich meat taste. Oh well, I guess I can pretend to eat meat. That is the one thing I really miss - access to a wide variety of food. For those of you that go camping, you know the feeling, after a few days you really start to crave a certain food and that is the first thing you eat when you get back to town. Now imagine months without those cravings fulfilled - just reading magazines with pictures of food makes me go crazy. I find myself dreaming about food. Don't get me wrong - I'm not starving or anything - there is plenty to eat - but it just isn't really satisfying. The countdown is on for my return home before Christmas. I cannot wait to eat bread, real bread, sandwiches, fish, salads, a big steak, BACON, mashed potatoes, gravy, roast beef, bagels, turkey sandwiches...sandwiches - I really miss those the most.

That is about it - my day of luxury continues - I might watch a movie or curl up and read my book for the next few hours, without interuption - ohhh the bliss - nothing but the sound of the rain. And tomorrow I get to sleep in! SLEEP - something that I never seem to be able to get enough of here.

Good night and thanks for reading!
Saludos,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment