Today is Monday and I'm getting the week rolling again. I love that it is the 10th of January already! Now I can officially say I have been in country over a year and that makes this last year seem do-able. I was just talking to my mom on Skype thinking of all the fun things that we will do when I get back home. It is nice to have things to look forward to. However, to pass the time, I've got a couple of good projects starting down here and that will take some time and hopefully this year will fly.
As far as good news goes - my sister is engaged! I am sooooo happy for her and her fiance! They are the best people in the world and I am so excited! So, that will be fun too. I hope to be able to help her plan even though I am down here in Guate and I hope to get back to the States again too. So - with that news - what a wonderful way to start 2011! A lucky year for sure!
Other wonderful news - I am a Godmother! I was asked to be Godmother for my friends Vitalino and Pascuala's new baby! His name is Diego Javier and he was born on the Day of the Kings - January 6. He is doing well. I went down to the hospital in Reu to visit them and everyone is doing great. Pascuala came home on Saturday and I went over to visit and celebrate with the family. They had her room all decorated with balloons and crepe paper and Ramon, Vitalinos brother drew a big poster with stork on it. We celebrated with some Gallo - the official beer of Guatemala and a great dinner of beef stew and tortillas. Then, Sunday, yesterday we celebrated with a fried chicken lunch - YUM! Pascuala is lucky to be living with the Recinos - my Guatemalan family. They are all so helpful. All of the women are pitching in, helping with the washing, cooking, and just taking good care of her. I go over every day to visit.
Yesterday, being Sunday was futbol day. The new generation team played yesterday and beat San Antonio, another finca and also beat the adult team here. Way to go wiros (kids)! The kids play so hard and this is their first win since the team formed. Every time they play better and better. Also, yesterday was great as I got to eat my first mangos of the season. They are still green - but super good when they prepare them by slicing them up, putting them in a plastic bag with salt, chile, and lime. You shake it all up and it is soooo good - kind of tart - but I like that.
Tomorrow I have the big meeting with all the 40 families to kick off the stove project. I'm planning my meeting notes now and I think it will go well. It is nice to get some of the first steps rolling on this project.
Other than that - I am finally enjoying some down time in the afternoons - going up to play some soccer with the kids and reading some books. People said Peace Corps is full of down time - however- it took me about a year to finally be able to carve out this down time. And it is soooo nice! Maybe I finally have the confidence to say no to people and attend to my own needs or maybe it is because I finally have my daily life down and things that used to take me forever finally aren't taking as long. I know where to find people, who to talk to, how to work the water system, how to cook efficiently, wash efficiently, etc. So, finally finally I have some free time and I love it!! What a world of difference it makes in one's well being!
That's all for now!
Cheers!
Tara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Way to go on the projects! I know you'll have so much fun and everyone will love their new stoves! Congrats to the kids on winning their game!! And being a godmother too!! love you, mom
ReplyDelete