Wednesday, January 12, 2011

And it begins

Well, last night I had the big meeting with the community to introduce the idea of the stove project. I'm happy to say that they are very interested in it and think it would improve their quality of life greatly. So, the next steps start - filling out all the SPA (Special Project Application) with the Peace Corps and getting some funds for the project. The PC will contribute 70% and the community needs to contribute 30% so that they have a vested interest in the project. We are going to try to do somewhere around 40 stoves. So, now the hard work really begins.

Other than that yesterday I had a meeting where we are trying to put together something like a Chamber of Commerce down here on the coast. Nothing like that exists and efforts to promote the area are currently very scattered and unorganized. So, we are trying to unite as one big group and work toward the common goal of increasing tourism in this area (and what's not to love - we have archeology, beaches, tropical setting, coffee and macdamia plantations, a water park, subtropical rainforests, and so much more).

So I've got plenty to keep me busy here. I'm never for a lack of work that's for sure. Other fun things happening include the following...

*Yesterday my friend Omar, a nice little kid in the community climbed up the mango tree in the backyard and filled up a bag of the first mangos of the season. We then made a fantastic salad of sour mangos (they're still green but really good), pepitoria, salt, chile, and lime = YUM!! Put salt, chile, and lime on just about anything and it makes it better :)

*Hopefully my fight with the rats will be won soon - now I've got traps and rat poison out. Their days are numbered.

*They opened a Mexican Torta comedor (sm. restaurant) in Reu - I'm in heaven. Don't know what torta is - come visit me and I'll take you :)

That's about it for now - I've got lots of paperwork to start on but I'll keep you updated and hopefully be able to post some more pictures soon.

Cheers,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment