Friday, February 12, 2010

Macademia Nut Farm

Buenos tardes a todos y todas, Good afternoon everyone,
This Friday finds me in an internet cafe after a very full day. We are leaving Sunday morning at 7 a.m. to go to Field Based Training. We have a very packed week planned. We are going to a coffee finca and doing another presentation and also helping some volunteers with their projects. We will be going straight from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day. My trainer likes to really pack the days full. But the good thing is I am learning tons of information that will be very useful at site. I cant believe that when we get back we only have 3 weeks until we leave for individual site inspection. Time is really flying here.

Here are some highlights from the last time I wrote,

1. Went to a macademia nut farm today. It is all organic and the operation is going very well. I bought some chocolates and enjoyed a facial with macademia nut oil. Oh yeah, forgot to tell you this experience was for class too. We have a great new teacher. Plus, they had the nicest batheroom I have seen here yet. It was kind of al fresco, with tons of birds of paradise plants and running water and real soap. Yes ! Plus, they have a fabulous breakfast, macademia nut pancakes! Plus, the camioneta ride to get there was the most fun so far. We had a crazy driver who cranked the reggaeton and got us there in record time. These guys drive these camionetas like race cars. It is kind of funny to imagine a school bus rallying around all of these curves here.

2. Learned how to make pupusas. They are kind of like tortillas, except with queso oxaca inside. You cut the cheese up and toss it into the masa and mix it all up. They you make tortillas by hand and fry them up in oil. They are excellent with some homemade guac on top! I will make them for you when you come visit me!

3. Another baby shower tomorrow. More games, games, games, packing 40 to 50 people into one room. They really like to make fun of the gringos at these events. I am sure I will have to stand up and sing at some point. We are in charge of leading one of the games.

4. We are going to learn how to make mango jam. One of the ladies in town sells the best and she is going to teach us how to make it. It makes a great secondary project for lady groups in our site. I can teach them how to make jams and cakes and they can sell them to make extra money.

5. Fresh fruit! It is the best here! Right now I have an obsession with pineapple. Mango season starts in March

6. Guatemalans will drive an hour to get to Pollo Campero. This is sometimes the sole purpose for a car trip.

7. My neck may never be the same after rallying over tumulos,speed bumps, in the camionetas. Also, riding in camionetas is a good core workout. No need for pilates here, a one hour bus ride for 3Q will suffice.

8. My family installed a new electric water shower head. I will try it out tonight. Im keeping my fingers crossed for warm water. Up until now, I have learned showers are simply a means to an end here,not something to be enjoyed. Get in, get it done, get out. Use as little water as possible.

9. My vocabulary has expanded just sitting in here listening to the little kids play video games. Wow, I never thought I would hear, MUERATE, DIE, used in a command form. Only video games... Gracias, EEUU

Thats all for now!
I appreciate all of the mail! Thanks for all of the updates from everyone!
Cheers,
Tara

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a good time! Can't wait for you to make mango jam-that sounds so delicious!! :) And the pupusas sound good too! Have a great week and can't wait to hear about more of your adventures!
    Love and many hugs,
    mom

    ReplyDelete