Sunday, February 21, 2010

Highlights of FBT

Hello everyone,

I´m back from Field Based Training and what an experience it was. Our days were packed! We started it each at 6 a.m. or earlier and didn´t make it to bed until after 10 p.m each night. I learned a ton and am really excited to get my site assignment. We were up in the cloud forests all week and really saw some beautiful terrain. We did a couple of awesome hikes through the forest. We visited a waterfall and also did another bird watching expedition. We did all of this to learn how to build trails, what works and what doesn´t in a muddy and rainy area, and also how to possibly bring bird watching as a tourist activity to our sites. I didn´t see many birds, actually one on the hike, but we were also in a big group. I heard alot and their calls are fun to hear. We were in a very indigenous area and it was very eye opening to see their way of life and hear their Mayan language. The volunteer there did an excellent job of learning the local language. I was very impressed. It was integral to his work in this community. The people were very warm and generous and they work very hard day in and day out. They are really excited to have another volunteer in their community.

Here are some highlights of the week,

1. I spent 20 minutes locked in the bathroom during the charlas. I didn´t want to interrupt the speech by banging on the door, so I just waited it out. Finally I was successful in alerting someone to my situation and when I came out I was greeted to laughter by room of 100.

2. Took my first trip in the back of a pick up up these steep backroads to access the forest. Who needs pilates as a core builder when you can ride in the back of a pick up standing up. I was so sore the next day. But I loved every minute of it!!!

3. Tried real cacao. It is like hot chocolate, but with chunky bits of cacao seeds and in the very traditional form. Note, add lots of sugar. It is good though and I think I could eventually wean off the sugar.

4. Drinking coffee, the real stuff now, all day and night does not make for a restful night sleep. Esp. when breakfast is at 545 a.m. the next day.

5. Taking a cold shower outside when it is 50 degrees out is an invigorating experience. The phrase, what doesn´t kill you... comes to mind.

6. My group of trainees are hilarious. I have never met such a group of great individuals. We all were put through long days, trying situations, rustic accommodations and no one complained. Cheers to everyone, I am very impressed. Thanks for all of the laughs and the ability to get through anything.

7. I found mango sorbet in Guatemala and it is a day brightener!!!

8. My definitions of clean and dirty have drastically shifted.

9. As I type now there are 5 children standing directly behind me, breathing on me, watching my every move. My idea of personal space and privacy has also drastically shifted.

10. I´m still alive and well and loving every minute of it down here! I can´t wait to show all of my visitors all of the fun stuff to do here.

Also, can´t wait to drive a car here one day. It is directly out of the movie Fast and Furious!

Cheers all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Life is always an adventure for sure! the pickup truck ride was hilarious! I think the cocoa hot drink would be delicious and I think I would have to keep the sugar for awhile! Happy you got out of the bathroom and everyone cheered for you! Life is good! Love you like crazy! mom and dad

    ReplyDelete