I think the blog de moda (popular) right now is writing recommendations to the new trainees who will be coming to Guatemala in less than a month now. So, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and give my two cents worth to the whole “what should I bring” dilemma.
The best thing about Guatemala is that you can get most of everything you need here, so don’t really worry about not being able to buy notebooks or pens or clothes – they have just about everything you will need here, including McDonalds. A note on that too – you might not believe me – but pretty much everyone sooner or later is craving McDonalds. I’ve eaten more McDonald’s here in Guate than I ever did in the US.
So back to the essential stuff to pack – stuff that is either hard to find or expensive to get here and vale la pena (is worth it) to bring…
1. Computer AND a big external hard drive – The computer has been my life saver here. There are some sites with access to internet cafes, however, if you are like me, my nearest internet cafĂ© is 1.5 hours away and my life improved dramatically when I finally got my computer down here. You’ll have access to internet and there is signal even deep into the jungle. You’ll be able to buy a modem and have regular internet service in just about every site. It might not be as fast as the US or quite as reliable but it will be pretty good. Even though we don’t have public electricity where I live – we have internet and cell phones.
2. Makeup and contacts – Contacts are allowed here in Guatemala so bring em. You can buy the cleaning solution here at the pharmacy. It just has to get paid for out of your own pocket and isn’t offered by the medical office. Also, any good makeup that you like – bring it. You can get it at Wal Mart in Xela or another store in Antigua – however – it is about double the price that you would pay in the US. Also, you’ll be expected to dress up more often than you might think and you’ll be glad you brought it.
3. Dressy clothes for training and workshops and swearing in – Ladies – bring heels and men – nice shoes. Almost all Guatemalan women wear heels all the time and you’ll definitely fit in more with heels. If heels are absolutely not your thing – than closed toe flats will work too. Flip flops and Chacos and tennis shoes are not allowed in the Peace Corps office – so be sure you have some nice shoes to wear to the office. I brought 2 nice pair of dress slacks and I am glad that I had them – as well as some nice blouses and cute tops. Think business casual.
4. Rechargeable batteries and battery charger – These are available here, but more expensive. Bring a few to get you started for stuff that you’ll need batteries. Esp. since there aren’t safe places to deposit batteries here – better to recharge than to buy and just throw away.
5. Some warm clothes for training – Training will be in Jan-March at the office, which is located at a higher elevation – so the training rooms can be cold. I recommend a fleece, gloves, hat, and a wrap or a scarf. I tend to run on the cold side, so it might be a bit much for some – but better to be a little warm than cold! Also, it warms up during the day but the mornings and evenings can be chilly. Once you get your site – you can make additional purchases based on your climate. However, in Guatemala there seem to be more cold sites than warm sites. And by cold I am talking about freezing temperatures – like frost and ice!
6. Ipod with portable speakers
The following is stuff that you can all buy here…
*Sheets (unless you like a high thread count – then bring them for your own bit of luxury. I did this and I am personally glad I did – however – if you don’t have a preference – you can buy them here)
*Radios/CD players
*Clothes/jewelry (note here on jewelry: don’t bring anything you would hate to lose – even small rings or a small necklace. This is the first stuff that gets stolen here from volunteers. Thieves will even go as far as removing jewelry from your neck as you sleep on a bus. Don’t bring anything that even resembles real gold or silver.
*Sunglasses – you can buy the cheap ones here – and you’ll go through a lot – I’ve been through probably 6 pair – not worth it to bring the expensive nice ones.
*Cell phones – buy a cheap one here – for as often as they are lost and stolen – don’t bring a nice one from home. Peace Corps will also provide you with a cell phone.
*Sunscreen/shampoo/lotion/razors/soap – it’s all available here so just bring enough to get you through your first few weeks.
So, basically don’t stress about packing. Anything you really need in Guatemala can be found here. You may end up paying more for something but ultimately it can be found here. Just BRING YOUR COMPUTER (but not your new Mac - like a $200 laptop or an older computer will do) and have some warm clothes on hand. You have those two things and you’ll be a happy camper.
Enjoy your last few weeks in the US and eat all your favorite foods!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment