Friday, November 19, 2010

Ready for a trip home and Recommendations for Other Volunteers Coming to Guate

Ok - today finished up our last cooking class and I have to say it was a success. The only rough part was that there was no water (AGAIN, sigh....) at the hotel, so that presents a program when trying to wash dishes, clean up, flush toilets, etc. However, for our last meal - we made a chicken with onions and garlic - and Pepsi in the sauce. It turned out really good. We also ended up making tortas out of the long green stems of the onions - those turned out awesome too. Oh yeah, and I made the rice. The tortas are amazing things that you make by hand whipping egg whites to a foam and then covering whatever vegetable you have (in a grated or chopped form) with the egg white foam stuff and then frying them in a pan. They are really good! We also made a lime flan - all on a plancha (wood fire stove) with our new tin foil oven. I am happy to say that everything turned out great! However, I am pretty exhausted. We started in at 7:30 a.m. and we just finished. It was a long day as it is fairly exhausting working, especially with the kids constantly asking me questions and also the no agua thing - they kept turning on the chorro (faucet) saying "no hay agua" - and I'm like - I know - there wasn't agua last time and there still isn't now...geez. Only I really understand how the complicated tubing system to the hotel works and I kept explaining to them that the water tank up top isn't working because the filter is bad and for some reason there was no water pressure. Only later did I learn that someone recently hooked up a hose to the hotel water system and was directing all the water to their house....ahhhhhh! Of course they don't tell you...I spent an hour last night checking every connection, every detail of the water system, in the dark (kind of like Clark W Griswall now that I think of it) and it should have been working...I couldn't figure it out...but then via a small side switch that I didn't think about - someone was piping water way from it. The biggest issue I have it that he I am running around, asking everyone if they knew if anything happened with the water or the spring and they are just like - no hay agua - no urgency to fix it - just "no hay..." So, I was frusterated beyond belief, finally discovered the problem, and FINALLY we have some water.

The other frusteration right now are the chuchos (stray dogs) - man do I hate them. I know it is a strong word - but these dogs are the bane of my existence here. They make a terrible mess with the garbage here - one got into the kitchen today (I don't know how) knocked over a bunch of clean dishes, and stole some chicken. Ewwww...how I hate these chuchos - the fleas, the skin problems, the smell, the mess...

Ok, but enough of that stuff - those are my frusterations and I'm about ready for a bit of a break...

But, now a little about a packing list for those trainees who are going to come in this Jan...

Most Impt Things I Have...
1. My computer (with DVD)
2. IPOD with charger
3. Surge protector (get a good one)
4. 2 prong electrical adaptor
5. Makeup - the good stuff from home
6. Tennis shoes
7.Headlamp
8. Leatherman
9. My own sheets (size full)
10. Quick dry towel
11. Photos of friends and family
12. Good lotion and essential oils
13. Comfortable pair of heels

A few notes... Most toiletry stuff you can get here in Guate, so don't bring a lot of it - just enough to get you through the first week or so. Also, in regards to clothes - don't spend a lot on expensive stuff - washing stuff in a pila ruins most stuff quickly and plus there are lots of PACAS here (like Goodwill) where you can buy American clothes for cheap. Do bring some dress up clothes - I wear my button up shirts and nice pants a lot here. Even though I am living in the country - people still dress really nice for meetings and stuff -so I am glad that I have nice blouses and dress pants. Also, a comfortable pair of heels is great - the footwear here is generally more formal than the US. I wear my flip flops around the finca, but whenever I go to town or am in meetings - it's always heels (even on cobblestones).

So, that's about it from here - yes it is def. getting to be my time for a break. However, the big party is tomorrow, and I might need to kick it all off with a nice Pepsi/rum just to relax a bit after the chucho and water fiasco today.

1 comment: