Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Welcome to the Jungle!

Yes, this is all I could think as I was packed 4 deep in the backseat of a pickup, crawling our way slowly up the mountain to my new site. I got my wish to be in a hot and humid climate. I love it up there! I am living about 15K deep in the tropical jungle of Guatemala. My community is a very tiny agricultural community but they already get quite a few volunteers and tourists to this site so my main job will be to get the word out about the site. I am going to learn a lot in 2 years here. Here are some observations on my site visit:

1. There is one bus a day to my site, leaving the site at 6 a.m. and returning a little after noon each day

2. Electricity is run by hydroelectric power, 4 hours of electricity a day during the dry season, all the time during the wet season.

3. No access to refrigeration - going to be eating a lot of fruits and vegetables for the next 2 years!

4. I live about 10K from an active volcano! This is really cool! Lots of minor earthquake activity. Don´t worry though, minor activity

5. There is a beautiful waterfall in my site.

6. My community knows a lot about medicinal herbs, so this will be interesting to learn more about

7. The soccer field is on a slope, thus the importance of changing sides at the half. There is a women´s team and I will be learning to play soccer!

8. I can see the ocean from my place! It is really a tropical paradise - tons of birdwatching and huge tropical trees and plants.

9. One of my projects is going to be to start a community garden and possibly a garden for the hotel. It seems like everyone buys fruits and vegetables from outside the town so maybe I will work on trying to grow stuff in town. I use the word ¨town¨very loosely here. It is a very small community of about 40 families. Everyone I have met has been very friendly so I think this will be a great site. It is gorgeous too.

I am so happy that I will have a chance to cook now. However, I will have to change my cooking and eating style due to no refrigeration and one day access to a market to buy food. Luckily the Peace Corps has a cookbook, survival style, called Que Rico! and I just purchased that today.

That is all for now - I am excited - only 2 more days til swearing in. We are at the office today trying to cram in 2 days worth of material since yesterday the Guatemalan transportation system fell apart due to protests and road blocks. Entonces, we spent the day getting manicures and hair cuts from Jesse's host sister. Not a bad way to spend the day during civil unrest. Also, I treated myself to one last chocobanano - maybe it will be a good thing that they won't be so accessable after this week!

Can't wait to show you all my site! Come visit me and be ready for an adventure!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara,

    Your site sounds fantastic: congratulations! What are the names of some of the nearby, larger towns? What part of the country is it in?

    My site in the DR was also in the mountains in a small village. We had a pickup truck leaving each morning & returning each afternoon. Not having refrigeration isn't a really a big deal. You'll see! Sardines are handy! Someone in the community may have a kerosene fridge & sell things like butter & cold beer. I had never seen one until I moved to my site, but they work great.

    I did a rabbit rearing project with a local women's group as malnutrition was a real problem where I was. It worked out quite well and helped a lot of children get a more regular supply of protein. Something like it might complement the gardening project? Just an idea . . .

    Wishing all the best! Jim (from Troncones, Mexico)

    ReplyDelete